Artist / Surgeon
My name is Alastair Faulkner and I’m an artist based in Dundee on Scotland’s glorious east coast. My day job is a little different as I’m training to be a trauma and orthopaedic surgeon. I graduated with a degree in Medicine from The University of Edinburgh in 2012 and I currently work in NHS Tayside.
As a largely self-taught artist, my last art qualification was a GCSE in Art and Design at Secondary School obtained in 2004. After pursuing photography for many years I returned to painting in 2016 and started capturing scenes around Scotland, particularly at the extremes of the day and at night. I also enjoy the challenge of painting portraits and attempting to capture a likeness.
I have received a number of commissions to clients within the UK and abroad including Dubai, Hong Kong, and the USA. In September 2018 I undertook a portrait and figurative painting course at the prestigious Florence Academy of Art in Italy and has been published in the World of Interiors Magazine. I have also featured on the Stories section of the V&A Dundee website in the article “Making V&A Dundee: An artist’s museum”.
I hope you enjoy my work as much as I have producing it! For more information on my art or to commission a work drop me a line at email@example.com or read my blog “Bones and Brushes” for updates.
Exhibitions and appearances
- British Orthopaedic Trainee Association Gala Dinner Auction, Edinburgh, Scotland – on behalf of World Orthopaedic Concern
- 28th November 2018
- Grand Central Hotel Portrait Competition, Glasgow, Scotland
- 27th Augusy 2019
- The Dundee Art Fair, Dundee, Scotland
- 24th-26th May 2019
- British Orthopaedic Trainee Association Gala Dinner Auction, Newcastle, England
- 15th November 2018
- Sky Arts Landscape Artist of the Year 2018, Fountain’s Abbey, Yorkshire. Wild Card Episode 1
- October 2018
- Art Baho Barcelona, Spain Expo, Barcelona
- 22nd – 26th September 2018
- Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair, Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery, Glasgow
- 11th-13th May 2018
- Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year 2018, Wallace Collection, London. Contestant Heat 8
- January – March 2018
- Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize, National Portrait Gallery, London
- November 2008 – February 2009