Artist / Surgeon
My name is Alastair Faulkner and I’m an artist based on the foothills of the gorgeous Ochil Hills in Scotland. My day job is slightly different as I’m training to be a trauma and orthopaedic surgeon. I graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Medicine and Surgery from The University of Edinburgh in 2012 and became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (MRCSEd) in 2016. I currently work in NHS Tayside.
As a largely self-taught artist, my last art qualification was a GCSE in Art and Design at Secondary School obtained in 2004. After pursuing photography for many years I returned to painting in 2016 and started capturing scenes around Scotland, particularly at the extremes of the day and at night. I also enjoy the challenge of painting portraits and attempting to capture a likeness.
I have received a number of commissions from clients within the UK and abroad including Dubai, Hong Kong, and the USA. In September 2018 I undertook a portrait and figurative painting course at the prestigious Florence Academy of Art in Italy and have been published in the World of Interiors Magazine. I have also featured on the Stories section of the V&A Dundee website in the article “Making V&A Dundee: An artist’s museum”.
I became a member of the Scottish Society of Artists in 2020. My painting “Trauma” painted during the COVID-19 pandemic has been featured on numerous online and print media including the BBC and the book “Portraits for NHS Heroes” printed by Bloomsbury. It is currently on display at the Surgeon’s Hall Museum, Edinburgh.
I competed in the 2018 series of Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year and was the featured artist in Season 3, episode 1 of Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Week. My “Self Portrait in Green Scrubs” featured in the 2018 series is part of the Portrait Artist of the Year: The Exhibition at Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park from the 19th February 2022 – 5th June 2022.
I have several philanthropic ventures and have donated several of my works towards charity auctions including Horatio’s Garden and World Orthopaedic Concern. I also support Young Lives vs Cancer.
I hope you enjoy my work as much as I have producing it! For more information on my art or to commission a work drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or read my blog “Bones and Brushes” for updates.
- Portrait Artist of the Year: The Exhibition – Compton Verney Museum and Art Gallery
- 19th February 2022 – 5th June 2022
- University of Manchester – Managing Collections and Exhibitions
- 9th December 2021
- Horatio’s Garden Summer Art Exhibition 2021,
- 15th May 2021 – 30th May 2021
- Paisley Art Institute, 132nd Annual Open Exhibition, Paisley, Scotland
- 25th July 2020 – 6th September 2020
- British Orthopaedic Trainee Association Gala Dinner Auction, Edinburgh, Scotland – on behalf of World Orthopaedic Concern
- 28th November 2019
- Grand Central Hotel Portrait Competition, Glasgow, Scotland
- 27th August 2019
- The Dundee Art Fair, Dundee, Scotland
- 24th-26th May 2019
- British Orthopaedic Trainee Association Gala Dinner Auction, Newcastle, England
- 15th November 2018
- Art Baho Barcelona, Spain Expo, Barcelona
- 22nd – 26th September 2018
- Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair, Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery, Glasgow
- 11th-13th May 2018
- Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize, National Portrait Gallery, London
- November 2008 – February 2009